General Information About Mold

Mold has been around for years and is commonly found in homes. But while often harmless, too much of certain kinds of mold in a home can be dangerous. Mold always indicates excessive moisture and the source should be corrected immediately.

Molds naturally grow in the indoor environment and mold spores may also enter through open doorways, windows, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. But when mold spores drop in places where there is excess moisture and a food source such as common building materials, they will grow and often spread. This frequently happens where leakage may have occurred in roofs, pipes, walls, plant pots, or areas affected by a flood. If this mold growth is toxic or pathogenic, some people might experience health problems as a result. Health conditions have been found to include such symptoms as congestion, chronic fatigue, bloody noses and flu-like symptoms that won’t go away.

Because mold can grow in moist areas that are often undetected, it is important for homeowners to have their home evaluated for areas that may be troublesome. A home inspection is an evaluation of the overall condition of a home and points out visual deterioration that exists throughout a house. This may alert a homeowner to problem areas that exist or sections of the home that may be susceptible to mold problems.

Mold Control Tips

If a homeowner knows they have mold in their house, it is important to clean affected areas and eliminate sources of excess moisture. Additionally, to help prevent mold in the future, the following is recommended: